Tuesday, November 10, 2015

New Book and Free Fireside Dec 11th, 5-7:30pm in South Jordan, UT

I will be releasing a new book called, "Teaching for Doctrines the Commandments of Men: Traditions in Modern Mormonism" shortly. As will all my books, it will be available on Amazon.com at print cost and free to download. This has been a tremendous amount of work, and I have been very anxious to finish and distribute this book. I am sure that anyone who reads the book will learn something new, but the main audience of the book is your friends and relatives who have not had the time or inclination to seriously study the scriptures or church history. This book is a one-stop-shop to help anyone in the church today to draw closer to Christ through the analysis of traditions they espouse that may limit that process. With so many friends and family members losing faith in God due to faith crises spurred by the discovery of unexpected church history or recent church policy, this book is as timely as it could be.

The book is written deliberately in a way that dissects interwoven traditions and logically addresses each component in order with scripture, teachings from the prophet Joseph Smith, and history. You will find the book as a whole, the scriptures it expounds, the teachings it recites, and the history it concisely summarizes to be of great value in your attempts to persuade those around you to focus on the doctrine of Christ and to overcome traditions in their lives that separate them or distract them from the doctrine of Christ.

In order to facilitate the distribution of the greatest number of copies, I will be holding a brief free fireside to entice as many people as possible to come and load up on books (even cheaper than on Amazon due to shipping savings). I hope you can buy a few copies and lend them out to your friends and family.

The location of the venue is:
Daybreak Community Center
4544 Harvest Moon Dr, South Jordan, UT 84095
Room B (Upstairs)
December 11th (Friday)
5pm-7:30pm. Talk at 6.

We can comfortably fit 75 people, but comfort is probably not an option given the subject manner, so bring a friend. The talk will begin at 6pm and go till around 7. I will be there from 5pm on, so come and get some books.

The title for the talk is "Tradition Creation in Modern Mormonism." Some friends are trying to mobilize recording capability so we can distribute the talk. The content is in the book, but not so distilled, so my interest in the recording is mostly as a low-investment option for people to decide on whether or not to get the book, which is quite long.

I apologize to all my friends in Boise, Idaho Falls, and Mesa who requested me to give a talk there as well. I have spent an unfathomable amount of time on this book over the last while, and I cannot justify more time right now away from my family and other demands that I have set aside to write this book.

If, for whatever reason, you cannot attend this meeting, feel free to download a .pdf copy of the book from this blog, or order a copy (or 10) on Amazon.com.

I hope to see you there.