The defining characteristic of the church of the devil is not the claim that one belongs to such nor any formal membership process. There is no central headquarters of the church of the devil, nor an entrance ritual. Instead, the unifying characteristic is that members of that church believe in one creed. What is that creed? The scriptures provide us with at least some of what it contains:
- A man's situation is completely his own fault. (Alma 30:17.)
- Sins done in secret are admissable. (Moses 5:51.)
- Success comes by conquering others. (Alma 30:17.)
- Those who are prosperous are so because they are better than others (Alma 30:17).
- Anything that seems right to a man is acceptable (Alma 30:17).
- You can buy anything in this world with money. (LDS Endowment).
It takes a little bit of effort to translate this scriptural language into modern situations. It is worth the effort.
The great and abominable church is not an organization. It is a group of people who subscribe to a set of tenets. It is Babylon. It is the whore of all the earth.
What the scriptures say about the fate of the great and abominable church:
- The righteous will be led out of it by servants of God preaching about it and instructing them to flee. (see, for example, 3 Nephi 38:27-34 and 3 Nephi 21:10-11,29.)
- Those rejecting God's servants sent to lead the righteous away will be condemned to destruction. (3 Nephi 28:34.)
- It will be destroyed temporally with invading armies, wars, earthquakes, fires, etc (see, for example, 1 Nephi 14:15-17). Modern amenities will end: no cars, no cities, etc: all will be destroyed with those who lie, envy, strive, commit priestcraft, and whoredoms (3 Nephi 21:14-19).
The great and abominable church will be destroyed through two means: 1) Through the convincing of some that the principles they live by are false, and 2) through the destruction of those who will not be convinced.