Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Contacting Me

About twice per month I get emails from people I've never met before. Most times they just say something like, "hi, thanks for writing the blog, it helps." While I appreciate that someone is getting something out of this, other than just me, if what I wrote depended on human approval, I'd write very differently, or not at all.

Some seem to want to start an ongoing online conversation, and start emailing me all sorts of things asking what I think about them. It doesn't matter what I think. Beyond that, I can save you the time and fast forward to my response: Men are almost always wrong. Don't depend on men, there are no shortcuts to God, spend more time in the scriptures and prayer and less time reading/listening to others' opinions.

About once per month I get an email from someone inviting themselves to my house. I'm going to try to tell you why I won't reply to those emails, but I don't know how to do it without sounding high-minded or arrogant. I promise you that I don't feel I'm better than anyone. I am just a worm crawling around in the dust. There's nothing I've learned or experienced that anyone can't learn or experience by doing what I've done, and there isn't anything greater that I have not yet attained that anyone can't attain by doing what I haven't yet done. Visiting me won't help you do what I've done. That choice is simply yours to make. And getting to know me will actually hinder your ability to do more than I've done.

That being said, the Lord has been explicit in his instructions to my family regarding visitors. I'll spare you the details, but that's why I won't be replying to those emails. Whatever your goal is in visiting, you will better meet it in other ways. If your goal is to obtain further light and truth, go directly to God. Read the scriptures and pray more frequently or with more intent. If your goal is to fellowship with like minded people, there are many who are more like minded than we will be.

You don't need to know my email address, you don't need to visit me in my home, you don't need to know me better. You need to know God better. You need to know how to contact him. You need to visit him in his home. I can't help you with any of that. Only you can decide to do what is required to do those things.