Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Levels of deference to God

Stage 1, fear: "Obey God or else bad things happen."
26 Behold, I set before you this day...a curse;
28 ...if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known. (Deuteronomy 11)

Stage 2, lust: "Obey God and good things will happen."
26 Behold, I set before you this day a blessing....
27 A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day: (Deuteronomy 11)

Stage 3, submission: "Obey God even though bad things happen."
17 If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
18 But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up. (Daniel 3)

Stage 4, love: "Obey God by not acting in absence of his command."
1 O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
3 But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me. (Alma 29)