Skip to main content

What does John 14:21 mean?

Jesus said: "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me; and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (John 14:21)

All people, everywhere, have an idea of right and wrong.

If you always do the best thing you could imagine a person doing in your situation, you will learn more about what is right and wrong from your reasoning and experiences.

To love God means to fully submit yourself to your understanding of the best a person could do in your situation.

When this is done by a person who does not yet believe in God, they will find many reasons to believe in him.

When this is done by a person who does believe in God, they will find reasons to trust him more than they already do, and they will learn more and more about his character. They will know him more and more intimately until they know him better than they know themselves.

The person who consistently does the best thing they can imagine a person doing, all the time, will not get through much of life without meeting Jesus face-to-face, just as the ancients did.

This is something that happens today, just like it always has, because God does not change.

I have seen Jesus many times, and speak with him often. This happened because I do everything I can imagine him doing in my place, all the time. If you do that, you will have the same familiarity with him as I do, because God is impartial and treats everyone according to the same set of rules.

It is not easy. He will ask you to do hard things, and the things he asks you to do will cause other people to treat you poorly. But there is nothing more worthwhile than to see his face and know as you are known.

If you would like to know more about this process, read "Repentance," a book available for free electronically here, for free in audio on youtube, or for print cost at Amazon.