Skip to main content

Taking care of some needed reconciliation

I think it is very important to publicly testify of the good we see in life and in other people. Especially when others say things that do not accord with what we have seen, and especially when we ourselves have said things in the past that do not accord with what we saw later.

Someone recently asked me what I think of Denver Snuffer. This is a question I've heard many times, and my answer has changed a lot over the years.

The first of Denver’s books I read was “The Second Comforter,” and I cannot adequately express my gratitude for that book. What I can do is share what I got out of it. In short, the spirit said to me: “Everything you believed about being able to meet God in this life, that you learned while reading the scriptures for the first time as an 18 year old convert, then disbelieved because people at church explained it away, is actually true.” That realization was pivotal and prerequisite for everything of value in my life today.

I read and found value in several other books and talks by Denver. At the close of his speaking series, I did not find the same value in the idea of a covenant and what followed as I had in some of the previous teachings, and my interest in what he wrote or spoke tapered as I found the Lord teaching me more valuable things directly.

Around that time, I wrote a few posts expressing what I disagreed with in his teachings and why. Like many of the earlier posts on my blog, these posts contained ideas that I would not agree with today and ways of saying things I would rephrase (or not say at all) today. 

I was surprised by the frequency and intensity of response to those posts from professed followers of Denver. I knew many of these people well over years, and they had acted as friends up until that time. Those who wrote me demonstrated to me a side of themselves I had not supposed existed. Others simply stopped interacting with me. And that was the end of my concern about Denver’s teachings or his movement.

In spite of my disagreements with what Denver teachings, I think it is wonderful that there is a person out there who spends considerable time studying the scriptures, who publicly says what he believes and why, and who has taken a great deal of flack for doing so. I wish everyone were more like Denver Snuffer in at least these ways.

One way to measure the character of a man is whether he can see the good in his enemies, and how he treats them. FWIW, I do not view Denver Snuffer as an enemy of mine, and I hope he does not see me that way, either, but for some time I have wanted to write a post sharing a story that says something of the man’s character. I didn’t want to do so without his permission (which he granted), because I do not want to do anything that might harm his ability to do what he believes is right, and wanted to be careful that this post not imply in any way that he endorses anything I believe, just as this post is not an endorsement of anything he believes (except as mentioned below).

Before we get to that story, I want to take the opportunity to take my own medicine.

Having heard much of what he taught, at least in the early years, I have often prayed sincerely that more of the people who profess belief in his message would do more of what he teaches, such as repenting from sin, loving one’s neighbor, and not coveting riches.

I regret having written about Denver as I did, and those posts will not be among those that get republished, if and when any more are. If I were to write them, I would do so in a cleaner and less pointed way. Meanwhile, I am sure that any doctrinal disagreements I still hold to are as obvious to those who profess belief in him as they are to me. If there is anything negative I have ever said or implied about his character, I apologize for that. I do not have information on which to base that judgment, except his evident efforts to share what he believes and the story that follows. I hope that never was part of my intent, though I cannot honestly remember. On that note, if I have ever said or done anything to anyone of his followers, or anyone else, that does not align with the example of our Lord, I apologize for that, too. 

I do not know if Denver has said anything negative about me in private, though I have heard accounts from supposed witnesses. I have never seen or heard anything myself. Whatever the truth may be, and for whatever it is worth, I forgive Denver for any of that, even if he meant it, and even if he would say it again. And that has always been the case. 

To this day, the bulk of the hate mail I get—and by far the nastiest ones I get—are from people who profess to believe in what he teaches, but I refuse to impute blame for this to him, because by that standard we would have to condemn Jesus for the many people who profess his name with their lips yet oppose him with their actions and desires. For all of you, I want you to know that I sincerely forgive you for everything you’ve said and done to me. That has always been the case. I sincerely and deeply hope that you all encounter more of the God we both profess to believe in, and that the greater revelation of his goodness brings you joy and aligns with what your heart has and does desire. I truly desire that for each of you.

Now onto the story. I know that Denver strongly disagrees with many of my viewpoints, and I am pretty sure he knows that I strongly disagree with many of his. Therefore, imagine my surprise when, out of the blue, I received this email amidst my cancellation:

“Sorry for the ‘shit storm’ that you've got going on at present. I once told a friend that the best rainbows come after the shit-storms, and it seemed to help (at least momentarily).
My thoughts are with you.
We all get troubles and I figure it’s good to let people know they aren’t forgotten when it’s their turn.
Hang in there.”

I cannot express how much this email meant to me. There are moments in my life when things happen that strike something very deep within me, and the only way I can express it is that they remind me of heaven. 

Somehow, this message meant immeasurably more to me from someone who I know opposes much of what I believe than it would have from someone who I considered to be a close friend.

Sincerity is a gateway to God, and when we do good to those who oppose us, it is very likely that we have the purest of motives, and this cuts like a knife through any amount of seeming enmity.

Time has poured by since this email, but my feelings are at least as fresh as when I read it. 

I will relentlessly strive to learn and live and defend truth until the Lord takes me from this earth, and I don’t plan on backing down from opportunities to challenge what I believe is incorrect or incomplete.  And I would hope and do expect that Denver would say the same.

And still, I will say that I would have no problem shaking hands with this man, or sharing a pulpit with him, or my last crust of bread with him. In fact, I will go farther than that.

In the judgment day, we will be blessed not just with the missing portion of our current incomplete view of events, but also with the meaning behind the choices of all who took part in them. There are moments in life when the spirit attests to us that we will be called upon to bear witness of them in the day of judgment. Sometimes, these are to witness against, and those are never fun. But sometimes, those are to witness for.

In that day, whatever may be the case about what I did and believed here, or what Denver did and believed here, I will gladly be telling this story. In an hour of very little earthly support, including from so many that had every reason to give it, one of the few who did had no reason at all, except that Jesus would have done it were he in his place. Denver reached out across a passionate difference in beliefs to give an extremely helpful, yet simple and sincere token of human decency. He didn’t need to agree with anything I believe or do. He just acknowledged a hard time. In the darkness of that time, which was made far worse for the disappearance of people who said they were my friends, I heard the supporting voice of my Lord in a man who I was told was my enemy, and I thanked God for it.

I say this to Denver Snuffer, and to all other people, all over this world: No matter what differences may exist between what we hear, I TRULY and SINCERELY wish you all success and strength in following the voice of the Lord to you. 

I sincerely believe that, little by little, all differences will evaporate between those who love God with all their heart, might, mind, and strength, as we converge in becoming more like Christ.

I hope that people give me the grace to learn and improve over time. Though it might not matter to them, I certainly acknowledge their right to do the same.