Skip to main content

Sometimes joy makes you cry

A viewer made the following comment to this video:

"I can relate to the deep emotions that can open up through nature.

Recently, I had a mini insomnia episode (due to life circumstances) and decided to go walking right before the sun came up. As the sun started to rise, I could see Venus piercing through the darkness. I was overcome and started crying.

I tried to share it with two people who are dear to me with some relevant scriptures about the bright and morning star. The pictures from my phone couldn't do the scene justice."

I wrote this reply, then moved it here to increase visibility:

A long time friend of mine once told me that he hated when men cried in YouTube videos because he felt that they would only do so for effect and not sincerity, or because they were weak. Knowing he's seen a few of my videos, I said "shots fired!" But knowing him well, I said "you know that time I asked you if you had ever felt bliss--overwhelming joy, and you said you hadn't?" He said yes. I am not sure exactly what I said next, but hopefully it was close to this: "what if sincere emotions exist in a spectrum that exceeds your experience? What if those who have them are your willing guides into a fuller range of life?"

Jesus said he came to bear witness of the truth. That doesn't just mean what we say--though we ought to say a lot more of what we think and feel. To bear witness in Greek is the same as to demonstrate. He didn't just come to teach the truth, but to live it on plain display to those he knew were going to kill him for doing so. And then, when he showed them the truth, they responded by pretending like it was still a mystery!

36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
38 Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all. (John 18)

His servants do as he would do in their place, and to the extent they have become like him, they have similar experiences as Jesus had when people react to them as they would to the Lord.