Skip to main content

Q&A: "Is my occasional drink a sin?"

A YouTube visitor asked me this question. He said:

Q: "...I have been LDS all my life. But since my true journey has begun to bring me towards Christ in earnest, I have felt it to be ok for me to have an occasional drink - usually as sort of a sacrament to mellow out my anxieties and think more on Him and spend time with His spirit…. This “about face” from my traditions has led to profound spiritual experiences. But then sometimes I begin to doubt because of my tradition which says “all drinking is a sin”….   But then I recall that Jesus’ first miracle was to share the “spirit of the occasion” with his loved ones at the wedding in Cana… Joseph Smith had an occasional drink until the day of his martyrdom…. I have had closer experiences with the Lord and with loved ones when taking part of a drink or two...in your view, does my occasional drink most likely equal sin? Or is there a good chance that my occasional guilt about this stem from the traditions I’m still wrestling with?"

A: 

Consider the following:

39 And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness.
40 Ye fools, did not he that made that which is without make that which is within also?
41 But rather give alms of such things as ye have; and, behold, all things are clean unto you.
42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. (Luke 11)

In all things, the only "clean" way is total submission to God, especially in the deepest parts of our motives.

If we feel guilty over something, that is a sign that we don't believe it is according to God's will. What we sincerely to believe to be God's will never causes guilt.

The question of why you believe something to be or not to be God's will is a question of your understanding, and as your understanding changes, so will you understanding of God's will.

I find Paul's relevant comments extremely valuable:

All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. (1 Corinthians 6:12)

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. (1 Corinthians 10:23)

We can mix this with some verses from Ether.

And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good... (Ether 4:12)

Wherefore, I, Moroni, am commanded to write these things that evil may be done away, and that the time may come that Satan may have no power upon the hearts of the children of men, but that they may be persuaded to do good continually, that they may come unto the fountain of all righteousness and be saved. (Ether 8:26)

Does it edify? Does it make you stronger? Does it make you more like God?

Does it subject you? Does it degrade you? Does it make you weaker? Does it make you less like God?