Skip to main content

Dream of Lions

I saw myself in a very large, open building. It was immaculately beautiful. Everything was either white marble or gold. There were people moving around as if they had some important errand, and they wore robes that were white and gold. I noticed that a very long and tall wall made up the side of this great building. Beside the wall ran a great hall on which the busy people were walking up and down. This wall had a beautiful carved mural. It was probably 20 ft tall and much wider. It depicted scenes of a great lion fighting off enemies and sitting in glory. The characters in the engraving all faced east, which was away from the great foyer I had seen and out of my vision. I could tell this lion was very important to this people. Just then, I saw a lion jogging down the hall adjacent to the wall. He came from the east and was headed west toward the foyer. Instantaneously, I marveled at the majesty of this lion. He was easily 3 times larger than a common lion, but he was also much more majestic. I wanted to draw closer to the lion, but I could not move. That reflection all happened in a moment, and was interrupted by the change in the building. The placid business was replaced by terror. Everyone in the building was screaming and running as fast as they could to the western end of the building to escape this lion. The vision ended.

I did not see anyone mauled by the lion, but I can't say he wouldn't have done it. What struck me was that I was so interested in drawing closer to him, while all these people who presumed to worship the lion in art and business, fled from him in terror when he appeared. It seemed that their idea of who he was and what he was about was very different from reality. I was not totally sure that I would not have been mauled by the lion, but I did not care. I wanted to draw nearer to him---for me there was no other option.

I reflected on a prompting that I had disobeyed earlier in the day. I was very disappointed with myself. Yet, I realized that, even though I do not presume to be qualified for Zion, I desire with all my heart to draw closer to the Lord, no matter whether or not I "make it." I understand another level of this exchange:

"Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." (John 6:67-68)