Skip to main content

The foundations have been removed

On 7/8/19, I wrote:

A week ago I had the following dream:

I was in my house looking out the back window, first thing in the morning. Overnight, someone had cut windy roads into the grass all over the yard and close to the house. There were workmen everywhere. Then people started crowding into my house by my sides. I said, "who are you? Get out of my house!" They said they were there to watch the work. The workers were converging on a house maybe 700 feet behind mine and up a hill (there is no house there in reality). The chief worker was right outside my window, so I opened and asked him what they were doing. He said they just discovered they could turn houses on their foundations, and that they were going to turn that house. I said "isn't that dangerous?" He said, "absolutely not. It's completely safe." Then they started rotating the house. Almost immediately, the foundation crumbled, and the house came sliding down the hill towards mine. The people watching started screaming in terror. As the cascading soil and structure subsumed my house, people were sucked into it. I pulled several children, including one of mine, out of it as I escaped.

Every decision made occurs atop the foundation of precedent principles. Every decision is part of a sequence extending further back and further forward than we have the wisdom and resolution to see.

When things happen "all of the sudden," they are really just the next obvious step in a sequence that has been unfolding as regularly and predictably as the movement on a clock--at least to those who understand enough of the laws of cause and effect that describe the connection between all things.

The foundations have been gone for a long time. Everything we know stands hanging by a thread, and as each thread breaks, people always seem to be surprised that nothing else was holding it up. They do not see the foundations, not having eyes to see what lies beneath the ground, and assume that a foundationless house is no different to one that still has one because to them, it is.