Skip to main content

Anyone can say anything about anyone

Anyone can say anything about anyone. What can be done about it, no matter how untrue it may be? 

What would it take to get to the truth of the matter, and what would it matter? Would you turn to the courts? Do you not realize that the justice of the legal system requires many things which cannot be guaranteed in our day? For example, honesty in the accuser, critical thinking and impartiality in the jurors and judge, and, unfortunately, money? In some cases, extensive video records of the situation and teams of lawyers can overcome the limits of the system and expose the truth. But how often is this the case? If you aren't Kyle Rittenhouse or Johnny Depp, can you hope to vindicate your name through legal means?

Take comfort in the fact that there will come a day when all things are revealed. 

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. (Matthew 5:12)

Until then, know that God has all power, and all things will work to his glory and to the blessing of those who love and serve him.

And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. (Matthew 19:29)

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28)

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.
38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8)

To those who might believe things just because they hear them, look to the example of Jesus to test your strategies. Would your approaches result in the unjust condemnation of Jesus? If so, do you have any reason to believe they will not also condemn those who he has sent? Did Jesus not say that those who followed him would be treated as he was treated, including falsely accused as he was?

18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me. (John 15)

If you find yourself in tribulation due to the actions of others, you have a right and a reason to pray for redress to God. But consider the higher road of praying that God might forgive their trespasses against you. Realize that there will be a day when all things are known. If your case is just, in that day your accusers will find themselves filled by unending sorrow for having falsely accused you, and unending guilt for having turned away from greater light and love sent to them by our merciful God. Pray for them that they will repent before that day comes and it is everlastingly too late.

While it is very difficult to get to the truth of accusations against a person's character, one can freely read what they have written and test it. Wisdom is known of its children. Fruits certify the tree, and water the fountain. 

If one's teachings do not have worth, they can be freely tossed aside. Even better, if they do have worth, that worth is now yours, no matter where it came from.

16 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. (John 7:17)

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also (John 14)