Skip to main content

Wisdom scriptures

A while back I printed a copy of the so-called books of wisdom from the Bible.

I actually did this just for myself. I enjoy ending my day by reading scriptures, and at that time of the day, I prefer to read paper copies. I wanted a copy of Sirach and Wisdom of Solomon, two books that were in the original King James Bible, but are missing in today's versions.

I find great value in these books, so I decided to couple them to Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Psalms, and Job.

The edition has no footnotes or commentary. My only contribution was the preamble of the book, which I am reprinting here: 

"This book is a compilation of books containing proverbs and other wisdom-related literature from the King James translation of the Bible.  Modern readers of the Bible will notice the inclusion of Sirach, otherwise called Ecclesiasticus, and The Wisdom of Solomon, books that were well-known and well-read in earlier times, but absent from modern Protestant Bibles.

Both Sirach and The Wisdom of Solomon were recognized as scripture by many, as noted by their inclusion in the Greek Septuagint and the original King James Bible. They are still considered scripture by the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christian churches."

Here is what one Amazon reviewer said (thank you to whoever wrote it):

"Reading these wisdom scriptures compiled in this book has given me significant new insight and understanding of God. I have also learned how to praise Him, demonstrate my love for Him, and prioritize my time while here on earth. The light-weight book containing these six books of scripture made my goal of studying these texts convenient and much less daunting. I recommend this book and its contents to any serious Christian. I was grateful that there were no footnotes so that I could read it and come to my own conclusions. Thank you to the editor who compiled the Wisdom books in a singular, light-weight copy so perfect for the reader."

The collection is available at print cost from Amazon (and has been for a while).